The history of conservatories
In the 19th century, orangeries gave way to fully glazed structures and the conservatory came into existence.
In 1832, the introduction of sheet glass production by Chance Brothers enabled the development of fully glazed structures. Sir Joseph Paxton embraced sheet glass by building Crystal Palace in 1851 which at the time had the greatest area of glass in a building.
After this, the English began a love affair with glass buildings. As architecture developed to fully glazed structures, grand municipal conservatories with exotic plant collections began to appear in most cities.
These large greenhouses were standalone structures of great size that housed a collection of exotic and rare plants and sometimes birds and animals. The Palm House at Kew Gardens is another fine example of this time.
The World Wars halted architectural development and after in the 1950s and 60s, the building of glass structures began again.
Sunrooms were the first glazed 'rooms' to be built on ordinary houses. A basic structure attached to the side of a house to take advantage of sun warmth and views from a house. Made from aluminium frames and single glazing they would be very cold when the sun wasn't shining.
In the 1970s, architects further developed the idea of the domestic conservatory. For inspiration, they looked back at the popular Victorian conservatories and began to develop the classic conservatory structure we know of today.
Everest was founded in 1965 and with the development of uPVC frames in the early eighties domestic conservatories really took off. Once again, they became a status symbol, but this time for the average family.